About Walter Tersmette , P. Eng. CRSP
Walter C. Tersmette has extensive experience with the development, implementation and assessment of risk management programs required to meet the operating, safety and environmental challenges facing today’s oil and gas companies.
Key capabilities include:
- Combining proven, effective leadership with the ability to get things done.
- Generating enthusiasm and unity of purpose to achieve goals swiftly.
- Communicating effectively with others to develop win-win processes and agreements.
- Diagnosing difficult problems and providing cost effective solutions.
- Organizing and managing complex issues.
2004 to Present - Owner and President of Walter C. Tersmette & Associates Ltd.
2001 to 2004 - Devon Canada Corporation: Manager, Health, Safety and Environment.
1995 to 2001 - Anderson Exploration Ltd.: Manager, Health, Safety and Environment.
1981 to 1995 - Home Oil Company Limited: Facilities, Operations and Safety Engineering.
1978 to 1981 - Federated Pipe Lines Limited: Field Engineer.
Occupational Health, Safety and Environment Management
Comprehensive understanding and implementation of the full range of OHSE functions including:
- Establishing integrated corporate and project HSE Management programs for clients throughout the petroleum industry including production and service companies.
- Program initiatives have significantly improved corporate safety, environmental and compliance performance with the ability to generate top quartile standards.
- Implementing company wide Emergency Response Plans (ERP) encompassing exploration and production operations including: drilling and completions and high vapor pressure pipeline systems. ERP activities including document preparation, regulatory approval and staff training.
- Initiating the development of environmental management programs needed to meet current environmental challenges. Key programs include: Waste Management (G58), Internal Compliance Auditing, Greenhouse Gas Emissions, Dehydrator Benzene Emissions, Storage Tanks (G55).
- Developing public communication and consultation initiatives. Companies enjoy exceptional landowner relations as evidenced by the ability to advance sour gas field development with positive public support and minimal interventions.
- Team Leader responsible for the initial development of corporate Pressure Vessel, Pipeline and Electrical Equipment Integrity Management Plans to meet the requirements of the provincial safety code legislation.
- Preparing reports to Boards of Directors addressing corporate governance requirements
- Mentoring company HSE professionals.
- Project Manager for IRP17, an industry committee focused on developing an industry recommended practice for the prevention of damage to buried facilities thorugh improved ground disturbance plans, practices and procedures.
- Co-Chairman of IRP18, an industry committee focused on developing an industry recommended practice on fire and explosion hazard management. Responsibilities have included providing leadership for subsequent research activities and the development of industry training and awareness.
- Development of recommendations for revising the Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Code. Working with representatives from a number of key associations to submit the proposal to Alberta Workplace Health and Safety for improving Part 37: Oil and Gas Operations.
- Developing a quality assurance process, and applied process to review and approve industry safety alerts issued by Enform, beginning in 2009.
- Developing project budgets and facility designs.
- Negotiating government and partner approvals.
- Administering purchasing and construction contracts.
- Construction supervision.
Incident Investigation and Analysis
Complete incident investigations, analysis and preparation of summary reports. Investigations have included:
- Numerous investigations with an emphasis on surface and sub-surface fire and explosion incidents.
- Working with clients to submit corrective action plans to government agencies to address regulatory non-compliances.
- Completing a detailed analysis of oil and gas industry fatalities between 1995 and 2005 on behafl of Enform.
- Conducting detailed analyses of historical incidents for multiple companies and providing recommendations for improving incident reporting, investigation and follow-up processes.
- Bachelor of Science - Civil Engineering, University of Calgary, 1978.
- Environmental Management Certificate, University of Calgary, 1998.
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) 2004.
Additional Professional Training
- Alternate Dispute Resolution
- Risk Assessment and Management
- Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists and Geophysicists of Alberta (APEGGA)
- Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals (BCRSP)